December 9, 2019
Medicare beneficiaries who were affected by Tropical Storm Imelda may be eligible for a Special Election Period (SEP) to enroll in a UnitedHealthcare® Medicare through Jan. 31, 2020.
Federal Emergency management Agency (FEMA) has declared a weather-related emergency or major disaster in the following counties due to Texas Tropical Storm Imelda:
Chambers, Harris, Jefferson, Liberty, Montgomery, Orange, San Jacinto.
- Declaration Date: Oct. 4, 2019
- Incident Start Date: Sept. 17, 2019
- Incident End Date: Sept. 23, 2019
- SEP Start Date: Sept. 17, 2019
- SEP End Date: Jan. 31, 2020
Who is Eligible?
- Any beneficiary who resides in, or resided in (at the start of the incident), an area that Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) declared an emergency or major disaster (see www.fema.gov/disasters). Beneficiaries who do not live in the impacted areas but receive assistance making healthcare decisions from someone who lives in one of the affected areas are also eligible;
- The beneficiary had another valid election period at the time of the incident period, but did not make an election during that other valid election period.
What does this mean for Beneficiaries?
- Beneficiaries who were eligible for a different SEP or aged into Medicare but were unable to enroll in a plan during the allotted time period have until the extended deadline to enroll.
- Enrollments received are effective the first day of the following month.
If a consumer contacts you as a result of this SEP, you may help them enroll in one of our plans and earn a commission. You must:
- Ask the beneficiary for proof that the beneficiary resides in an affected area (e.g., driver’s license or utility bill reflecting the beneficiary’s address).
- If the beneficiary is unable to provide proof, ask the beneficiary if they attest that they lived/live in an area impacted by the weather-related emergencies.
- Once you verify eligibility, you can proceed with the application.
- Application details: (A) For paper, use the SEP election type code on the application, Write in Weather Related Emergency. (B) For LEAN, please select the FEMA Disaster reason code.